Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Obesity, It's not just for Patients.

Obesity – It’s not just for patients!

As nurses, we’re focused on our patients health, often at the extent of our
own. According to the World Health Organization, “Obesity is a major risk factor for chronic diseases, accounting for an estimated 2.5 million deaths per year”. Although the nursing community is aware of this factor for our patients, perhaps we should also look inward to see what we can do to make ourselves healthier?

I was made brutally aware of my obesity concerns every time I stepped on the scale and it kept moving in the wrong direction. Rationalizations and excuses led to more and more poor eating decisions as well as a lifestyle that did not prioritize any meal planning, exercise or managing my breaks. Louella Chapman, Licensed Psychotherapist from Torrance CA states, “One must experience enough pain or dissatisfaction with the status quo to desire to change.” As a nurse, some of the obstacles in my way were very real to me, such as the long 12 ½ hour shifts, working on my days off, eating whatever was available in the break room or consciously justifying that the sandwich machine was the new gourmet cuisine of the evening. My inner voice would scream, “Hey, it‘s only a bit and after all, I will burn it off after a busy day’s work.” Unfortunately, my metabolism didn’t quite hear my inner voice and I found my body objecting to the fats, carbohydrates and rich substances I was plastering on my hips, thighs and abs. As all changes of life occur, one day the moment struck me when I stepped up to the scale and my inner voice said…nothing. Pure s-i-l-e-n-c-e. Silence so loud, it rattled in my head as the scale screamed 222 pounds. TWO HUNDRED AND TWENTY-TWO POUNDS!!! I didn’t hear any rationalizations. I didn’t hear any excuses. However, as the tears began flowing,I heard my heartbeat quicken and blood rush to my head and I was immediately hit with a rush of anxiety. It was this moment that I knew I had to refocus my lifestyle before it was time that I, too, would ultimately become a patient. Dr John J Murphy, Clinical Psychologist in Beverly Hills, maintains that stressors can influence eating patterns as can habitual behavior. Eating as an addiction can result from motional factors such as boredom or a reward system. Lack of sleep is another factor that increases the hunger signal. Dr. Murphy suggests there are methods to overcoming an eating addiction such as exercise and eating a high fiber diet for a good start.

Properly fueling one’s body is a priority for success and when to fuel is just as important. My first dietary lifestyle change happened when I would think of what I would be doing in the following three hours and eat appropriately to fuel that function. If a long shift was approaching, I would consume food to maintain a stabilized blood glucose level for that period of time. I also prepared and packed small “meals” (snack size portions) and brought my cooler to work. This became my lifeline to proper nutrition, as I would now consume whole grains, lean proteins, plenty of green veggies and fruit. I would be able to address my fat portions by adding items rich in Omega-3’s to my meals. This rather simple refocusing stimulated a more positive approach to eating and portion control. It reduced the complex web of temptations to one very basic rule, “If it isn’t packed, it wasn’t on the menu!” system.I introduced exercise as a function three to four times a week. This had to be done on a regular basis for it to be a commitment similar to any successful person. By making the time, a refocused routine was created; thereby, making this a new habit. I began to employ many of the same techniques used to plan my diet in my exercise routine. Setting new challenges and goals kept me from getting bored by increasing my workout times and intensity levels. I hired a personal trainer who not only motivated me but supplied the needed support system, which is critical when taking on such a new endeavor. Also, I sought nutritional counseling to maximize my progress. There were setbacks but one important factor in dealing with these was to accept that they are part of the overall scheme. Acceptance and immediately resuming my refocused healthy lifestyle was the main concentration. One danger in dealing with any setback is the all or nothing approach. This could allow for a weak moment in will power. Once a set back occurs, it can be used as a crutch to allow more of the same bad habits to creep into play. Many times I had to ignore my inner voice telling me “Oh well, I’ve blown it so let me just eat the rest of the day and start tomorrow.” It is truly best to accept the indulgence up front and continue the path of healthy eating.. Remember, I was not about to return to the hospital as a patient. Like any event, the more I practiced my lifestyle, the more it became part of me and over time I found myself performing these refocused habits without thinking about them. There was another reward that came as a result of this refocusing. I began to drop in size and shopping became enjoyable again. I found out quickly that not only was healthy eating and exercise good for you but it makes one feel and look stellar! When I hit a plateau or any obstacle, I continued to persevere. I didn’t allow the lifetime of fat that I worked so hard to place on my body interfere with ability to rid my body of it. I would need to adjust my time goals and allow my body to adjust and understand what is happening to it. I also began to feel an obligation to set a positive example for my patients. I felt they were more enthusiastic about adopting a new set of refocused goals as well once they began to see my improvements.

As nurses we have the ability to make a profound impact on the lives of our patients. When we lead by an example of our own positive lifestyle habits like proper nutrition, adequate sleep, exercise and lowering our stress levels, our lives become more balanced. People, including our patients, gravitate to the realness of how we live emphasizing balance and moderation. I cannot emphasize enough, the importance of a solid support system. Making changes are challenging, however, when you have the encouragement and backing of family, and friends, the journey becomes more worthwhile. I couldn’t have accomplished my goals had I not had a support team. My family and friends were a tremendous source of encouragement.

Going thru my own process, has helped me to understand first hand how it feels when one needs to lose 75 lbs,50 lbs, or 25 lbs, or even those very hard to lose last down 5 lbs. My own success inspired me to become a certified fitness trainer. When I saw first hand how exercise and good nutrition programs were helping people to not only lose fat but also reversing type 2 diabetes and hypertension, I knew that I could help to make a positive difference in the lives of others.

Sidebar Information

Mitchell Fitness Systems
http://www.trentmitchellfitness.com/fitness_coach_4u_trainers.asp

Louella Chapman
310-902-9223
http://www.101emotions.com/index.html

Dr. John J. Murphy
310-729-4727
John@LosAngeles-hynosis.com

World Health Organization
http://www.who.int/topics/obesity/en/

No comments:

Post a Comment